How to improve boxed cake mix! Doctor red velvet, chocolate, vanilla, yellow or any boxed cake mix with this easy hack. Plus extra fun ideas for add-ins.
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may receive commissions if you choose to purchase through this link (at no extra cost to you).
Why This Recipe Works
- Make boxed mix taste like a bakery cake! Cupcakes or cake!
- You can use boxed cake mix for any flavor and make it better!
- Red velvet, chocolate, white, yellow, carrot cake, strawberry, spiced – you name it!
- Easy time saving hack!
Doctored Cake Mix
Need other ideas to make boxed cake mix taste like bakery cake? I have tested recipes for chocolate cake, carrot cake, red velvet cake, strawberry cake, white cake and yellow cake to name a few!
You can use my basic recipe for boxed cake mix recipes but you can add so many different ingredients to make boxed cake mix better depending on the type of cake you are making. For example:
- Chocolate: Swap coffee for water to make a chocolate espresso cake and add chocolate chips!
- Carrot: Add in shredded carrot and coconut for a boxed carrot cake.
- Red Velvet: Add in a dash of cocoa powder and white chocolate chips.
- Strawberry: Add diced strawberries.
- White or Yellow: Add in nuts or funfetti sprinkles! You can also add lemon or orange zest and mix up your frosting!
- Other ideas: Chopped nuts, almond or vanilla extract, soda or jam! Also, adding sour cream, mayo or pudding mix can add a different dimension to your recipe.
Also, if you are looking for an easy cake mix option when you want a sweet treat, you can try Betty Crocker Mug Treats.
Can you make with almond milk or other alternative milks?
Yes. You can make boxed cake mix recipes with almond milk, oat milk, soy milk, whole milk, 2% milk, 1% milk, fat free milk, half and half or heavy cream!
Frosting recipes for cupcakes
Looking for some amazing frosting recipes for your cupcakes? You can always go with Pillsbury or Betty Crocker if you are short on time. However, if you are looking for some amazing frosting from scratch, checkout:
Need a vegan recipe? Check out this Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting, by Nora Cooks.
For a basic vanilla buttercream frosting, you will love the Best Vanilla Buttercream Frosting is from Belle of the Kitchen!
Helpful tools to make this recipe
- Cupcake Pan: This Wilton Cupcake Pan is the BEST. Period.
- Cupcake Liners: These rainbow cupcake liners are my favorite! I support the LGBTQ community and I love the beautiful rainbow representation of that.
- Cake Pan: This cake pan is a great option if you are making a cake and not cupcakes.
CAN YOU RECOMMEND ANY OTHER NO BAKE DESSERTS?
Yes! You will love my Cake Pops, Oreo Truffles (Carrot Cake Version) or Rum Balls (Coconut). These are desserts are all great choices because they are super easy to make, no bake and transportable. I have brought them to family parties, graduations and BBQs. You name it! Have dessert, will travel!
You can also comment below. I LOVE hearing from you! If you loved the recipe, a 5 STAR RATING is the ultimate compliment as food is my love language!
How to Improve Boxed Cake Mix: Doctored Cake Mix Hacks!
- cake pan, cupcake pan
- 1 15-16 oz box cake mix Betty Crocker, Pillsbury or box mix of choice.
- 5 eggs 4 whole eggs and 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup whole milk (or alternative milk of choice)
- 2/3 cup melted butter
- Follow box instructions.
- Note: For cupcakes, I cooked LESS than box instructions, 12 minutes.