This chili crisp recipe packs crispy crunchy bits of garlic and chili peppers to create a spicy chili oil full of rich umami flavor.
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may receive commissions if you choose to purchase through this link (at no extra cost to you).
Why This Recipe Works
- It requires only a few ingredients and packs big bold flavor!
- This is an amazing spicy addition and crispy texture to many meat and vegetable dishes. I love dipping my Salmon Tataki in this this sauce!
- You can use this as an addition to salad dressings, sauces and marinades or add some extra spice to this Spicy Salmon Bowl or drizzle on your Butter Board!
- Looking for a delicious Asian inspired drink, you will love this Taro Milk Tea or Hokkaido Milk Tea!
Is hot chili oil the same as chili crisp or chili crunch?
Chili oil is a condiment typically using vegetable oil infused with chili peppers. Different types of chili peppers and oils can be used depending on the style. Hot chili oil is very popular in Chinese and other Asian cuisines.
Chili crisp or chili crunch use a similar base to spicy hot chili oil, only with the addition of a crispy or crunchy element such as garlic, onion, anchovies, soy beans or other nuts.
What type of chili peppers can I use?
One of the most mainstream red peppers you can used it crushed red pepper flakes. However, a more traditional chili pepper found predominantly in Chinese and Asian cooking would be the Sichuan chili pepper flakes. Both of these work well to produce a high quality crisp.
Can I add other ingredients to this recipe?
Chili crisp recipes vary widely depending on the geographic location. You will see additions of shallots, star anise, bay leaves, sesame seeds, nuts, soybeans, ginger, soy sauce, white or black pepper which add extra crisp. The ingredient I love in this chili oil recipe for the extra umami flavor is anchovies.
Helpful tools to make this recipe
- Storage Jar: I like to store my chili oil in a jar in the fridge for longer lasting preservation and to keep it crisp.
- Garlic press: Press the garlic for more concentrated flavor.
- Saute Pan: To sauté your chili crisp!
Looking for other delicious Asian inspired recipes?
- Asian Steak Marinade
- Vegetable Sushi
- Eel Sauce (for Sushi)
- Bang Bang Sauce
- Furikake Salmon
- Miso Ginger Dressing
- Asian Inspired Buddha Bowl
You can also comment below. I LOVE hearing from you! If you loved the recipe, a 5 STAR RATING is the ultimate compliment as food is my love language!
Chili Crisp – Recipe for Spicy Hot Chili Oil with Crispy Garlic
- Jar, frying pan, garlic press (optional)
- ¼ small onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 anchovy fillets – chopped
- ½ vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon crushed red pepper or crushed Sichuan red chilies
- salt and pepper to taste
- Press garlic through garlic press or finely mince. Set aside.
- Chop anchovy fillets. Set aside.
- Finely chop onion. Set aside.
- Add ¼ cup vegetable oil to saute pan (reserve the other ¼cup.
- Saute anchovies, onion and crushed red pepper or crushed Sichuan chili peppers until onions start to get crispy (2-3 minutes)
- Add garlic, saute until garlic cooked (30 seconds-1 minute, be careful not to burn).
- Add remaining ¼ cup vegetable oil, mix and cook for approx. 1 more minute.