This fresh and vibrant mango habanero salsa packs a spicy kick! The sweetness of a fresh juicy mango, herbaceous cilantro and onions, kissed with habanero is absolutely delicious. This habanero mango salsa recipe is going to have you coming back for seconds, if you can handle the heat!
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may receive commissions if you choose to purchase through this link (at no extra cost to you).
There is something about a sweet and spicy combo that always gets me excited. This habanero mango salsa definitely delivers!
This fresh, bright, sweet and spicy salsa is absolutely delicious served over this Faroe Island Salmon!
I absolutely adore this salsa for dipping tortilla chips and it is always the centerpiece of my dinner parties.
Serve this up at your next Cinco de Mayo celebration and I guarantee your family and friends won’t stop raving! Be sure to hand them a delicious Vodka Margarita or Rum Margarita to wash down this delicious appetizer.
This habanero mango salsa is delicious served on fish (salmon, mahi mahi, cod or halibut) or chicken. I also love serving this homemade mango habanero salsa on this Grilled Wild Sockeye Salmon, Blackened Cod or Air Fryer Tilapia.
It is excellent in fish tacos and for dipping these Low Fat Homemade Tortilla Chips.
This recipe does not contain tomatoes. If you prefer a more traditional salsa, be sure to check out this Easy Homemade Salsa.
You can buy pre-made smooth or chunky habanero salsa at the grocery store but I would definitely argue that this homemade habanero mango salsa recipe is the best!
However, if you do want to buy store bought mango salsa, you can check out Mrs. Renfro’s mango habanero salsa, salsa de mangó con habanero, La Victoria Mexican mango habanero salsa, Aldi roasted mango habanero salsa or Frontera mango and habanero salsa.
Why this mango habanero salsa recipe is the best!
- The sweet and spicy flavor combination in this sweet mango habanero salsa simply cannot be beat!
- This recipe is very flexible. If you don’t have fresh mangos, you can use frozen mango. However, I recommend that you allow the frozen mango to thaw fully before cutting it. You can omit the habanero pepper or add more (if you are very very brave). You can use sweet or red onion and any other color of pepper you like.
- Habanero mango salsa is super healthy! There is no oil in this recipe and it still tastes absolutely amazing!
Mango: I recommend fresh mango but you can also use frozen mango. I recommend that you allow frozen mango to fully thaw before cutting/chopping.
Cilantro: I recommend chopped fresh cilantro. Dried cilantro won’t give you the fresh flavor you need for this recipe.
Red Bell Pepper: Red bell peppers tend to be slightly sweeter which is nice in this recipe. You can also use green, yellow or orange bell pepper.
Onion: Sweet or red onion.
Habanero Pepper: If you do not have habanero peppers, you can also use jalapeno, serrano or scotch bonnet peppers. Be very careful to wash your hands after touching. Habanero peppers are very hot.
Lime Juice: Fresh squeezed lime juice is recommended. If you do not have fresh lime juice, you can use bottled lime juice.
Cumin: Ground cumin is available in grocery stores or online.
Salt: Kosher salt or pink Himalayan sea salt are my favorites over table salt.
How to make mango habanero salsa (and other mango salsa variations)
In small dish, combine mango, cilantro, lime juice, red onion, habanero pepper, red bell pepper, cumin and salt until well combined. Add additional salt to taste if preferred.
Enjoy with tortilla chips, served over fish or chicken or in fish tacos.
Tips to Chop your Habanero Pepper (using small food processor)
I recommend removing the stem from the habanero pepper and cutting into four pieces. You can also remove the habanero pepper seeds if you want it less spicy.
Then, place the habanero into your small food processor to chop extra finely. This minimizing the touching of the habanero pepper which is very hot.
You can then pour the juice of your lime in the food processor to help “wash” the habanero into your salsa dish.
Wash your hands very thoroughly after touching habanero pepper. You don’t want to touch anything because it will BURN.
Pineapple Mango Habanero Salsa
Instead of using 1.5 cups diced mango, use half mango and half pineapple. Follow the remaining recipe directions.
Peach Mango Habanero Salsa
Instead of using 1.5 cups diced mango, use half mango and half peaches. Follow the remaining recipe directions.
Pineapple Mango Salsa
Omit habanero. Instead of using 1.5 cups diced mango, use half mango and half pineapple. Follow the remaining recipe directions.
Roasted Mango Habanero Salsa
Pre-roast your mango, roasted habanero pepper, onion and red bell pepper on 350 degrees for about 10 minutes or so (until vegetables are soft). Blend with remaining ingredients.
How to roast habanero peppers
While roasting habanero peppers is not required for this recipe, if you do wish to roast habanero peppers, roast on 400 degrees for 6-7 minutes.
Mango Jalapeno Chili Salsa
You can substitute habanero pepper for jalapeno or serrano chili pepper.
FAQ and expert tips
Yes! This mango habanero salsa is excellent on salmon or whitefish such as cod, mahi mahi, halibut or swordfish.
Yes. This habanero mango salsa is excellent on roasted chicken, grilled chicken or pan fried chicken.
Mango habanero is a combination of sweet, spicy, fruity and tart.
Yes, if mango habanero salsa is homemade, it will generally be gluten free. It is a combinations of fruits, vegetables and spices.
Yes, mango habanero sauce is very spicy. Habanero peppers are one of the spiciest peppers so you should be careful if you do not normally enjoy spicy food.
No, mango habanero sauce is not keto. Mangos have high levels of sugar and carbohydrates that would not be suitable for the keto diet.
Yes, homemade mango habanero sauce is vegan. It is made of fruits, vegetables and spices.
Looking for other delicious Mexican or appetizer recipes?
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my EMAIL NEWSLETTER and follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest for all of the latest delicious food!
You can also comment below. I LOVE hearing from you! If you loved the recipe, a 5 STAR RATING is the ultimate compliment as food is my love language!
Mango Habanero Salsa
- Small food Processor or blender/chopper (optional), knife, small bowl
- 1½ cup fresh mango (diced) If using frozen mango, allow to thaw fully.
- ½ cup cilantro (finely chopped, loosely packed)
- ⅓ cup red bell pepper (diced)
- ¼ cup red or sweet onion (finely diced)
- 1 habanero pepper (extra finely diced or chopped in food processor) Be careful to wash hands thoroughly after touching the habanero peppers. They are very hot.
- 1 large fresh lime (juiced)
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Habanero Mango Salsa
- In small dish, combine mango, cilantro, lime juice, red onion, habanero pepper, red bell pepper, cumin and salt until well combined. Add additional salt to taste if preferred.
- Enjoy with tortilla chips, served over fish or chicken or in fish tacos.
Tips to Chop your Habanero Pepper (using small food processor)
- I recommend removing the stem from the habanero pepper and cutting into four pieces.
- Then, place the habanero into your small food processor to chop extra finely. This minimizing the touching of the habanero pepper which is very hot.
- You can then pour the juice of your lime in the food processor to help "wash" the habanero into your salsa dish.
This mango habanero salsa is amazing! Be careful habaneros are not for the faint of heart. This salsa recipe packs some serious heat. Perfect balance of tart, sweet, heat – YUM!