Spicy chimichurri is an herbaceous, bright and flavorful sauce or marinade with a super spicy kick that is excellent on steak, chicken, seafood and veggies! A winner all around. Spicy chimichurri sauce can be made with a few simple ingredients and brings any dish to life.
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may receive commissions if you choose to purchase through this link (at no extra cost to you).
If you have never tried chimichurri, you are in for a treat. This spicy chimichurri is bold, herbaceous and SPICY! Great on beef, chicken, seafood and veggies.
This spicy chimichurri sauce is perfect on pretty much anything and I would argue is the best chimichurri recipe. If you love chimichurri, you will also love this Red Chimichurri. Steak with spicy sauce is a go to in the kitchen for sure! It is also delicious served over this Air Fryer Swordfish!
Traditional chimichurri is a great marinade or sauce. Plus, there are so many exciting variations of traditional chimichurri such as Spanish chimichurri, Asian chimichurri, smoky chimichurri, chimichurri hot sauce, picanha chimichurri, spinach chimichurri, basil chimichurri, creamy chimichurri and mint chimichurri!
Why this recipe works
- This spicy chimichurri recipe only takes about 5 minutes to whip up and is delicious on practically everything!
- Chimichurri is a bright and bold flavor that works well as a sauce, dip or marinade.
- You can make this spicy chimichurri marinade with basic ingredients that you can find at most any grocery store.
- Italian Parsley
- Jalapeno or Serrano Peppers: Serrano peppers tend to be spicier than jalapeno peppers but it really depends on the batch.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: I enjoy this brand of extra virgin olive oil. You can also use other neutral flavored oil that you have on hand, such as avocado oil, canola oil or grapeseed oil.
- Rice Wine Vinegar: I recommend seasoned rice wine vinegar. Marukan Seasoned Rice Vinegar and Nakano Seasoned Rice Vinegar are both good choices and are often found in the Asian or vinegar/salad dressing section of most grocery stores. Many grocery stores also carry a store brand version of rice vinegar (ex: target).
- Red Wine Vinegar: If you don’t have red wine vinegar, you can use apple cider or white vinegar.
- Crushed Red Pepper
- Salt and Pepper
Spicy chimichurri recipe
- In food processor, combine cilantro, Italian fresh parsley, jalapeno or serrano peppers (roughly chopped), olive oil, rice wine vinegar, red wine vinegar, pressed garlic, crushed red pepper, salt and black pepper.
- Process until thoroughly combined.
Is chimichurri spicy?
Traditional chimichurri can be a little bit spicy due to the garlic and crushed red pepper (red pepper flakes). However, this spicy chimichurri has the additional or jalapeno or serrano peppers which adds an extra spicy kick, making this the perfect sauce or marinade for so many dishes (spicy chimichurri steak is one of the best)!
FAQ and expert tips
Chimichurri is made with fresh herbs and not seasoning per se. Some traditional recipes use crushed red pepper (red pepper flakes) which can make the chimichurri spicy.
The level of spiciness in chimichurri sauce depends on how hot the peppers are that you use. Serrano peppers tend to be spicier than jalapenos. It will also vary on how many hot peppers you use and whether or not you add the seeds (which will increase the spice level).
Chimichurri is generally keto friendly. However, some variations can include sugar so watch out for the addition of that ingredient (also found in seasoned vinegar).
Looking for other delicious sauces, condiments and dressings?
You can also comment below. I LOVE hearing from you! If you loved the recipe, a 5 STAR RATING is the ultimate compliment as food is my love language!
- Food Processor or Blender, Bowl
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 bunch Italian parsley
- 3 jalapeno or serrano peppers
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 6-8 garlic cloves pressed or finely minced
- 2 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In food processor, combine cilantro, Italian parsley, jalapeno or serrano peppers, olive oil, rice wine vinegar, red wine vinegar, pressed garlic, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper.
- Process until thoroughly combined.