This post may contain affiliate links which means I may receive commissions if you choose to purchase through this link (at no extra cost to you).
If you love gingerbread cookies and if you love them soft and chewy then this recipe is for you! These pack a spicy gingerbread flavor with a delicious sweetness from the brown sugar and molasses. You won’t be able to stop eating them. Sorry!
Soft and Chewy Gingerbread Cookies
- Sheet pan. Hand beater.
- 2.25 cup flour
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice Sub equal mix cinnamon nutmeg and clove.
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 3/4 cup salted butter Room temperature
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar Loosely packed
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract Optional
- 1/4 cup white granulated sugar For rolling cookies in to coat.
- Pre-measure your ingredients (or measure as you go).
- In mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, ground ginger and pumpkin pie spice.
- In separate mixing bowl, with hand beater, beat butter, white sugar, brown sugar, molasses, egg and vanilla until smooth and creamy.
- Add FIRST half of dry mixture to wet mixture and mix thoroughly (on low speed).
- Add SECOND half of dry mixture to wet mixture and mix thoroughly (on low speed).
- The dough will be sticky. Wrap dough and let rest in refrigerator for one hour. This will allow it to firm up.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and preheat oven to 350 degrees (bake on middle rack).
- Roll dough into balls about the size of a golf ball (should make about 24 balls). You can also use a cookie scoop for more uniformity in the size.
- Roll each ball in granulated sugar to coat.
- Grease baking sheet (pan spray or hand rub some oil). This is optional but makes it easier to remove cookies after.
- Place 12 rolled balls on each baking tray (use 2 baking trays, or cook in waves). You will need room for the cookies to expand.
- Cook for approximately 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and remove immediately to cooling rack.